Garlic is a food product that contains a large number of useful elements and vitamins. With its regular use, you can even protect the body from cancer. The best way to save garlic for the winter is to place it in a cellar or basement. This is due to the fact that in these premises there is the most favorable environment for long-term storage of vegetables, but when choosing the premises presented, you also need to pay attention to certain points.
Garlic storage methods:
Requirements for the room
How to store garlic for the winter in the cellar? The cellar should be appropriate to certain parameters that will ensure the safety of garlic for a long time.
As in the case of storage of other vegetables, the main parameters are temperature and humidity.
Summarizing all the important indicators of the cellar, we have:
- he should be relatively warm. The temperature should not fall below +0 degrees. At subzero temperature, garlic is not stored for a long time,
- optimal cellar temperature from +2 to +5 ° C,
- humidity should be within from 50 to 80%,
- absence of fungi and pathogenic bacteria - the factor that determines the safety of the garlic harvest,
- good ventilation. Constant fresh air circulation - the key to successful storage of garlic and other vegetables in the cellar.
Often the cellar is not prepared for storing garlic and other vegetables for the winter. You can fix it and even need to:
- A careful inspection of the cellar will answer all questions about shortcomings.
- When detecting traces rodents and insects, set traps, carry out appropriate processing.
- Upon detection mold, clean it manually if the area is small. If most of the cellars, walls, shelves, and ceiling are populated with mold, it is better to use a smoke bomb.
- Fix flaws ventilation, if they are.
- Conduct cleaning in the cellar, prepare a place to store garlic.
Garlic, which after sorting did not pass the selection for storage in the cellar, you can dry for seasoning or freeze in the freezer at home.
Neighborhood with other vegetables
How to store garlic in the winter in the basement with other vegetables? Joint storage of garlic with other vegetables undesirable. Especially with potatoes, cabbage, carrots and beets. However, there are examples successful combination sharing storage of garlic with onions. In addition to the fact that they can be stored not only nearby, but also in the same container.
Read more about how to store vegetables such as carrots, beets or bell peppers in cellars and cellars on our website.
How to store garlic in the cellar in the winter? As storage of garlic in the apartment, and in the cellar has many options. Consider the most effective.
Garlic storage in braids - Ideal for a small cellar. Saving space, good preservation of garlic - the main advantages.
Garlic, when choosing such a method, is intertwined in the braids for the stems. For this fit twine or rope. Spit hung from the ceiling of the cellar.
In caprone - The method is old and proven. Everyone remembers how grandmothers in the village hung nylon stockings with garlic on the walls.
The method is relevant today. Him simplicity and low cost forced to resort to it again and again. Heads of garlic tightly placed in nylon pantyhose or stockings and hung up to the ceiling in the cellar.
So it is well kept and does not take place on the shelves or floor. Instead of nylon products will work well mesh for storing vegetables.
We present to your attention a video tutorial on weaving braids of garlic for storage in the cellar:
Terms of savings
Garlic can be stored in the cellar all winter, subject to all recommendations for maintaining temperature and humidity:
- in boxes, boxes the shelf life can easily reach 6 months,
- in stockings, braids, nets - about 5-6 months.
In some cases, garlic is able to lie longer. It depends on its grade, proper cleaning, preparation and many other factors.
So, the basement (cellar) serves as an excellent place to store garlic.
If it is supported desired temperature and humidity, there are no bacteria and mold, garlic will be on the table all year round.
Garlic is not the most fastidious plant in terms of storage. That is why there is every chance keep it in the basement all winter.
Not all varieties of this crop are stored equally well. Spring garlic, which is planted in spring and harvested in late August or early September, is more suitable for long-term storage. Winter varieties planted before winter and harvested in July are worse. However, if you create all the necessary conditions, then winter varieties are able to reach the spring.
The best place is storage of garlic in the cellar or basement. Storage is required prior to preparation. If necessary, it is treated for insects and rodents, disinfected with special smoke bombs. In the case of high-quality cellar preparation, there are no problems with how to preserve garlic until spring.
The important point is timely digging heads. They must be fully ripe, but not overripe, otherwise they will lie badly.
When working, it is recommended to use several useful tips:
- On the day of cleaning should be sunny, dry weather.
- Root vegetables are carefully dug using hand forks and spread in one layer on the garden bed.
- It is believed that a large number of heads should be dried in the sun. They are left to dry for 5-6 days, covering for the night from dew. If it is too hot outside or, on the contrary, it is cold and damp, then the crop is transported under a canopy and dried there.
- In dried onions, roots are cut (leaving no more than 5 cm) and tops (leaving about 10 cm).
After that, you can move the crop to storage, but you need to sort out the garlic, rejecting damaged, bruised and not credible bulbs.
How to prepare the crop for storage
Garlic should not be removed immediately after harvesting, especially if the weather was wet. Properly prepared crop lay without problems much longer. To increase keeping quality, experienced gardeners recommend further processing of root crops.
The roots of each well-dried head must be slightly scorched on the flame of a candle, a gas stove, etc. This simple procedure will prevent the premature formation of fresh roots. For the prevention of fungal diseases, onions are dipped into a container with vegetable oil (0.5 l), to which iodine is added (10 drops). After that, the vegetables are re-dried in the sun.
The choice of location and packaging
Garlic belongs to those cultures that are well stored in a variety of conditions. It can be kept all winter both in a warm room (at room temperature) and in a cold one. Basement or cellar conditions are considered the most preferred. These onions can be stored anywhere in the apartment (kitchen cupboard, pantry, etc.), as long as it is dry. Vegetable compartment of the refrigerator for storing garlic heads would also be a good option.
You can place these roots in the following containers:
- cardboard or plywood boxes
- wicker baskets,
- nets for storing vegetables (even old kapron tights and stockings),
- glass jars.
For the competent maintenance of this onion culture, you must follow several important rules on how to store garlic in the cellar:
- it is necessary to periodically carefully inspect each head and reject damaged, dried or diseased specimens,
- Do not keep garlic in the same room as the crops whose storage conditions differ.
How to store garlic in the cellar
Storage room should be carefully prepared in advance. It is equally important to properly organize the joint storage of these roots with other vegetable crops. Undesirable is the neighborhood of garlic with juicy vegetables (beets, carrots, cabbage, etc.), because the onions can become damp and start to deteriorate. When deciding how to store garlic in a subfield or cellar in the winter, you need to remember that the onion will be the best companion for it. These cultures have the same conditions of detention, and they can even fall asleep in one container (box, basket, etc.).
If it is not possible to place the onion crops separately from the rest of the vegetables, then they should be made so that they are as far as possible from other neighbors. They are advised to hang them up: this way they will be more apart and will be preserved better.
Basements or cellars must meet the requirements for which the stored product does not lose its consumer and dining facilities as long as possible.
The optimal parameters for garlic content are:
- Temperature conditions should vary between + 2 ... + 5 ° C. It is not allowed to lower the temperature to minus indicators, since vegetables can freeze slightly. At elevated values, the culture will begin to germinate.
- According to indications of air humidity, it is recommended not to exceed 70-80%. If it is damp, the teeth will dry. With too humid air, onions rot.
- It is extremely important to ensure that the stocks have free access to air. Garlic is laid out in boxes or boxes with vents made, in wicker baskets or stored hanging in the nets for vegetables.
In case of non-compliance with the conditions of detention there is the possibility of some problems:
- Shrinking bulbs.
- The appearance of rot and mold. If the room is too humid and the temperature is not kept in the required range, then bacterial infections of vegetables are possible.
- Germination of onions.
This culture is beautifully stored in the winter in a heated room. Every experienced hostess knows many ways to preserve garlic heads.
Several options for storing garlic in the winter:
- In oil. Garlic cloves are cleaned and filled with vegetable oil (linseed, olive, etc.). In butter, they do not lose their taste and health qualities for a long time. In addition, the oil itself acquires a characteristic aroma and can be used for the preparation of salads and other dishes.
- Garlic storage in garlic is efficient and practical, since this product absorbs excess moisture. A thick layer of flour is poured into the container, then the onions are laid out, then the flour again and so on up to the very top.
- Frozen fresh garlic gruel. Heads of garlic are peeled, crushed, laid out in ice molds and placed in the freezer. After freezing, garlic cubes are removed, poured into a bag and stored in the cold.
- Drying. The teeth are cleaned, cut along on thin plates or just in half. Then, in the open air, in the oven and electric drier, the garlic is dried. Store dried slices in a tightly closed glass jar without access of light.
Some gardeners and gardeners bury part of the crop in the ground until spring. The heads are laid out in airtight polyethylene bags, wrapped in several layers of paper or newspapers, then buried to a depth of about 50 cm.
It is best to store garlic in a cellar, subfield or basement. But there are lots of other ways to preserve this tasty and healthy vegetable.
Storing garlic onions, woven into braids or tied in bunches, is another way of keeping this culture in the winter. Since ancient times in Russia hung bundles of onions and garlic in the kitchen room of his house. In this form, the harvest is well preserved, you can also monitor the condition of each bulb and remove diseased specimens in time.
Using cans and boxes
When choosing a place and a container for preserving garlic, boxes with air holes are often used. A layer of wood ash, sawdust or shavings is poured at the bottom of the box, then 1 layer of heads is laid out. The layers alternate until the container is completely filled.
Efficiently storing garlic in glass jars. Clean and sterilized jars are filled with individual cloves (so more will enter), and then covered with lids.
In the absence of a suitable container, sometimes a problem arises, how else can garlic be kept at home, can other means be used. In each house there are always linen or canvas bags in which you can fall asleep roots and keep them there during the winter months. For better preservation, it is advised to hold the heads for a few minutes in a strong salt solution, then dry.
Storage of garlic in salt
Using salt to store garlic is considered a common option. Glass jars are pre-sterilized, a layer of coarse-grained salt (1-2 cm) is applied to the bottom, which should be dry and without iodine. Then placed a number of garlic heads (cloves). Jar fill, alternating layers. A layer of salt 2-3 cm thick should be the last.
Storing garlic in paraffin
With winter garlic content, it is important not to let the teeth dry. Another option for preserving moisture is a paraffin protective film, which is created when dipping garlic onions into liquid paraffin. Then they are laid out on paper and allowed to drain excess paraffin. When it hardens completely, the heads are laid out in a box, trying not to break the containment shell.
Save garlic in the basement or cellar in the winter does not make much effort, while respecting the optimal temperature and humidity. You do not have to create special storage conditions, you can keep garlic heads in the same room with zucchini, cabbage, onions, carrots and other vegetable crops.
In most cases, the cellars and basements are not prepared for the storage of garlic, so you need to perform the following manipulations in advance:
- You need to check the walls and ceilings of the room. These actions are performed in order to make sure that when melting snow or rain, the vegetable does not flood with water,
- Having identified rodents or insects, it is necessary to immediately establish traps, as well as to carry out processing with special means,
- If mold develops, it must be destroyed using smoke bombs,
- In the presence of ventilation failures, they should be repaired. This is due to the fact that violations in the operation of ventilation, will lead to rapid deterioration and loss of the presentation of the vegetable, may deteriorate its taste.
Once a year it is necessary to disinfect the room.
If the room is not warm enough, then for insulation you can use foam, hay or straw, which will help to increase the heat of the basement or cellar.
The most popular ways to store garlic
Storage of garlic in cellars and basements can be carried out in several variations.
The most basic ways to save garlic can be attributed to safety in the spit, nylon, box or box:
- As for the braid, this method is most relevant when there is a small room, because it saves space and keeps the vegetable in perfect condition. For such storage, use is made of ropes and stalks of garlic, and which a braid is woven,
- Regarding the storage of garlic with capron, this option is quite old and proven. In this form, garlic can be stored on a shelf or on the floor,
- Storage of vegetables in a box or box is possible only if there are openings in the containers for ventilation. Tanks with garlic can be stored both on the shelf and on the floor.
How to prepare garlic for storage
For a long time, garlic hung in the winter in rooms or in the attic of houses in the form of braids. This method of storage was very popular in Russia. But he is not the only one. The most important condition for long and high-quality storage of garlic is its proper cleaning:
- terms - before yellowing of leaves and cracking of heads,
- Drying - in a shaded area protected from moisture
- selection is only healthy heads, as patients will infect the rest of the harvest.
Attention! Harvest time of spring garlic is early August, and winter is the second half of July.
For harvesting, it is important to choose a dry day so that lumps of dirt with viruses and bacteria do not stick to the heads. It is best to work in the morning or in the evening, until the sun begins to bake. Leave the head for a couple of days to dry off the soil moisture. In this case, the sun's rays should not be harvested. After that, start drying:
- cut with a knife the roots,
- cauterize the head with fire on both sides,
- cut the stem, leaving a segment of 2 cm from the head.
Another important condition for the long preservation of garlic - its proper preparation. After drying process the crop:
- Prepare the solution according to the recipe: in 0.5 l of calcined vegetable oil, mix in 10 drops of iodine.
- Handle the heads thoroughly.
- Dry it once more. This time it is possible in the sun.
The storage conditions for garlic should also be special, as it must be kept at home until spring. So, where to store garlic different ripeness?
For spring (summer), a room in which air humidity is 70% is acceptable. The temperature should be about + 16 ... + 20 ° C. Usually, storage rooms or even ordinary rooms are well suited for such parameters, so storing garlic at home will not be a big problem.
But winter (winter) garlic should be stored in a cool room (+ 2 ... + 4 ° C) with a high level of humidity (up to 80%). In such cases, you can store garlic in the cellar, where the conditions will meet the stated parameters.
In addition, there are general rules that should be followed when storing this vegetable crop:
- clean room where there is no littering and no debris or dirt,
- Be sure to store garlic separately from other vegetables, otherwise it is fraught with negative consequences. Only onions can be kept in the same boxes, because such a neighborhood does not hurt.
Frequent occurrence in cases where there are mechanical damages on the heads. It may also occur due to too much moisture. The best prevention of this problem will be the drying of garlic under the sun immediately after harvest. It perfectly prevents mold. But if you find it on your harvest, immediately dispose of any heads on which it appeared.
In order for your crop not to germinate, it is enough to carry out a simple procedure for cauterizing the bottom of the head (from where the root grows). If germination is noticed, gently clean the head and place it in a jar of vegetable oil. So you can use slices, and out of the oil will come a great dressing with garlic aroma.
High-quality preparation: 3 rules
High-quality preparation is half the success in storing the product. There are three mandatory points.
- Do not water. A couple of weeks before harvesting, stop watering the garlic. During this time, it dries well and the fruit can be easily collected by simply pulling the tops.
- Sort. You will have to throw away the fruits on which there are stains, dents or voids are felt. Otherwise, all supplies will go bad.
- Dry it. Fruits need to be dried in the open air for four to five days. To speed up the process, place them in a well-heated oven and dry for two hours with the door open.
How to store garlic in the winter: 7 ways
In order to delight the family with fragrant dishes all winter and to escape from the cold, you need to choose one of seven ways to store garlic.
Features Weaving braids - the oldest way to store stocks of garlic, as well as onions. In addition, this design looks so cute that it can be an excellent decoration of the kitchen interior.
- Take the plant with the longest stem and tie tight long rope or twine to the base of the head.
- Pick up two more plants with a head of the same size and long stems. Attach them with the same rope to the first stalk.
- Begin to weave a braid of stems, as you would do with hair. Do not forget that the thread must also be woven. It holds the structure together.
- At regular intervals add all new heads, the stems of which will become part of the braid.
- When 15-20 heads are in the bundle, stop adding new ones. Fly braid from the stalks to the end.
- Fix the bundle with a thread and hang the product for it.
Features In a city apartment it is convenient to store supplies in a glass jar. Capacity takes up very little space in the pantry or closet.
- Disassemble the garlic into teeth.
- Wash tara with soda, sterilize and dry.
- Place a layer of teeth on the bottom of the jar and sprinkle them with flour.
- Similarly, fill the container to the top and tightly close the capron lid.
In a fabric bag or mesh
Features To preserve the freshness of garlic and prevent it from rotting, the product can be folded into a fabric bag or mesh. Before this, you need to wash the material with laundry soap and dry it well.
- Dip each head in a salt solution.
- Dry the fruit.
- Place in a bag so that it fills up about a third.
- Tie the fabric into a knot and hang.
Features If there is a lot of garlic, and you expect to keep it fresh until spring, wooden boxes will be useful. The method is ideal for storage of the product in the cellar.
- Wipe and dry the box well.
- Drill small holes in the walls to ensure air circulation.
- Place a thin layer of ash or sawdust on the bottom of the box.
- Place the heads and powder them with ashes again.
- Repeat the procedure until you fill the box to the top.
In food film
Features In winter, when the air in the apartment is overheated by heating devices, it is important to find a solution on how to store garlic so that it does not dry out. This will help food film.
- Shorten the stems, leaving about 5 cm.
- Head tightly rewind cling film. Winding the stems is not necessary.
- Transfer the product to clean glass jars. Covers do not cover.
Features Garlic can be treated with paraffin, so that it is stored for a long time and does not deteriorate. The coating will reliably protect the product not only from the effects of temperature and humidity, but also prevent the appearance of mold and parasites.
- Melt paraffin in a water bath.
- Holding the stem, dip the head into the resulting liquid.
- Hold the product in a suspended state until the wax has flowed and hardened.
- Line the bottom of the drawer with paper and lay the heads on it in one layer.
Features It is best to store peeled garlic in vegetable oil. It will protect the product from rotting, help preserve its taste and beneficial properties. And the oil will acquire a spicy flavor that will give new tastes to your favorite dishes.
- Peel the garlic and divide it into teeth.
- Wash, sterilize and dry a small glass jar.
- Place the teeth on the bottom of the container. The bank must be filled to them by a third.
- Fill the remaining jar space with vegetable oil.
- Close the container tightly with a lid and place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.
The ancient Egyptians considered garlic to be a sacred plant. In the diet of slaves every day included a pair of teeth, which made them more resilient and active. In ancient Greece, this fruit was the main component of an anesthetic that helped even in the most severe cases. And 300 years ago, it was garlic that saved many Europeans from the plague epidemic. Modern man should regularly eat garlic to protect themselves from viruses, fungi and heavy metals. Proper storage of garlic in an apartment or private house will help maintain the health of the family throughout the year.
Reviews: "Until spring is like new!"
My mother, harvesting garlic, does not cut the stems at the very root, leaves about 20-30 cm, bundles it up and keeps it hanging on a glassed-in balcony. Always well kept until spring!
I keep my garlic in a shoebox in a cardboard box very well. In the autumn, we take out, dry, remove the ground, put it in a box, and put the box on the cupboard in the living room. It is dry and warm there, until spring it lies as new and does not grow and does not dry out. Last year lay a whole year and remained quite edible. Surely depends on the grade keeping quality and when to collect it. It is important to catch the moment when the foliage has already withered, but the heads in the ground have not yet begun to divide into slices ...
How else can you:
1 kg of garlic, 250-300 g of salt.
For long-term storage, it is necessary to select spring garlic, winter garlic is much more fruitful than spring garlic, but it has a short physiological rest period, and it remains only until the beginning of winter. Pour a layer of salt on the bottom of the cans, then lay the garlic heads unpeeled, making sure that they do not touch, and pour salt in such a way that the garlic “sank” in it. Fill the jars to the top, pour another layer of salt on top, cover with plastic covers and put in a dark cool place. Garlic harvested in this way retains freshness for 7-8 months. I did not try it myself, I feel sorry for salt ...
Preparing garlic storage space
Storage standards for any type of garlic is a dry place and a temperature of + 3 ... + 5 ° С. Allowable minimum is 0 ° С. If the thermometer drops below, the garlic will freeze. Because of this, the taste worsens and vitamins are lost. Other conditions for the good preservation of garlic:
- humidity at the level of 50-80%,
- the lack of indoor spoiled vegetables and fungus on the walls, the ceiling,
- good circulation of fresh air.
Attention! These conditions are relevant to any room. It does not matter where you intend to keep the harvest: on the balcony of a high-rise or in the cellar of a private house.
To prepare the cellar or cellar for storage of garlic, it should be carefully examined. If you find a small amount of mold - clean the area manually; if there is a lot of fungus, use a smoke bomb. Cleaning the mold does not completely solve the problem. If it appeared, then you need to work on ventilation. Also examine the premises for the presence of rodents and harmful insects. If they are, process the cellar or put traps.
For storage of garlic on the balcony or loggia are most often used boxes. At the same time the room should be glazed. It is also better to warm it, protecting it from a critical drop in temperature. Control precipitation from an open window during storage. All methods of storing garlic are relevant to the loggia and cellar.
Terms of harvesting winter and spring garlic
Terms of harvesting is very dependent on the type of garlic. Winter garlic, planted in the fall, reaches full maturity by July. A spring - cleaned later, around August-September. To more accurately determine the time of digging heads, you should pay attention to the advice of experienced gardeners:
- the full ripening of non-strelled varieties of garlic is indicated by yellowing leaves at the base, as well as a softened root collar,
- for complete confidence in the readiness of garlic, scoop the earth from a pair of heads and look at the scales. If it is tight and durable - you can safely harvest. And if the head disintegrates right in the hands, it means that the garlic is already overripe,
- winter garlic often arrows. When you break the garlic hands, which, I remind you, are very tasty, especially in a salad with bell pepper, leave one, she will tell you the exact time of garlic harvesting. If you see that the arrow has leveled off, and the bulbs with seeds have swelled and cracked - do not hesitate and get to work.
Important: Being late even for a couple of days can turn the most decisive winter variety into completely unsuitable for storage..
There are several recommendations for garlic collection, adhering to which everyone will receive excellent and long-stored products:
- It is necessary to dig garlic, preferably in dry and sunny weather. Do this with a fork or shovel, trying to injure your heads and roots as little as possible,
- Arrange the fruits extracted from the ground in rows on sackcloth and cover with leaves or grass. This technique will save drying heads from sunburn and increase their resistance to disease and damage. In this form, garlic is desirable to lie for 3 - 4 days,
- if there is a risk of precipitation, then at night bring the crop under the shed,
- the ground from the roots can not be shaken off, and even more so - to beat the ground. Clean it carefully by hand to prevent injury and reduce shelf life,
- The tops should be cut only after drying the dug out plants. Unlike many other vegetables, such as carrots, which is written here for storage, the outflow of useful substances from the leaves into the heads continues until it is completely dry. After cutting the tops, the stem should remain 10 cm long. It is also necessary to cut the roots, leaving the tips up to 3 mm,
- if in the period of recommended digging of garlic there are prolonged rains and weather improvements are not expected - do not hesitate, collect and dry the heads for 7-10 days in a ventilated room at a starting temperature of 25 ° C. At the end of drying, it is recommended to gradually increase the temperature to 40 ° C.
After all the above manipulations, garlic must be carefully sorted. Separate too small, bad and damaged specimens. They can be sent for processing or consumption. Only healthy, large fruits will be suitable for storage.
Favorable storage conditions
Storage conditions for winter and spring garlic are slightly different. Winter varieties should be used until the New Year, and they should only be stored in a “cold” way. The optimum temperature for the preservation of such capricious garlic ranges from -2 to +4 degrees. It is also important to maintain humidity - 70% -80%.
Spring garlic is less delicate and stored much longer. For its good preservation, it is enough not to exceed a temperature of 15-20 degrees. Moisture is sufficient and 50%.
Important: To keep garlic as long as possible, it must be placed in a dark room in a well-ventilated container.
The optimal way to store garlic in the cellar knew our ancestors. Using the left ends of the stems, you need to weave braids of garlic. Such garlic "necklaces" are hung in the cellar on special hooks in the wall or ceiling. The closer the temperature in the cellar to zero, the better. Make sure that it does not become too warm, because garlic can sprout. It is dangerous and lowering the temperature, with negative indicators, the products will freeze, and this will worsen its taste and minimizes the content of vitamins.
If you do not braid the braids, you can put the heads in plastic nets for vegetables or nylon stockings.
Do not overlay the net too much. This can cause overheating of garlic, rot and mildew. Each head should have access to oxygen..
Features storage of garlic at home
Surely garlic is not the only culture that is stored in the basement or on the loggia.However, far from all vegetables and root crops of garlic heads will feel comfortable:
- It is undesirable to keep cabbage, beets, potatoes and carrots next to them.
- Favorably affects onions. Cultures can even be stored in the same container.
Tip If garlic cannot be kept isolated from vegetables that are badly affected by it, hang the heads.
Storage of garlic at home
Each zealous hostess can tell her own secret how to properly store garlic in an apartment, so that it has been lying all winter just as if it had just come from the garden. I propose 10 proven methods that are somehow found in the arsenal of most gardeners, and allow you to keep garlic fresh and healthy until the new harvest.
Storing garlic in braids
Heads of spring garlic, woven in braids and suspended in the kitchen, will be not only a convenient way of storage, but also a wonderful decoration of your interior. It is advisable not to make the braids too long and dense, since head quality may decrease. It is enough to weave no more than 15 large or 15-20 heads of medium size. In this form, the garlic is beautifully stored until next year. It is possible to weave it for strength along with a false stem or twine leaves.
Storing garlic in cans
A fairly practical way is to store garlic in glass jars, pre-sterilized. There is no need to strongly clean the heads, you only need to sort them out and dry them well. For reliability, you can mix the onions with flour. Tightness is not required, just close the cans with nylon caps.
Storing garlic in the ground
Some gardeners store garlic right in their summer cottage. In late autumn, a pit is dug out on a bed, dried healthy garlic heads are put into it, placed in a sealed plastic bag. Everything is carefully wrapped with 4-5 layers of newspapers. From above it is covered with earth and covered with foliage, tomato tops, so that the earth does not freeze. In a snowless winter, you can warm this place by scrubbing a lot of snow. So the garlic will survive without loss throughout the winter. The main thing is to mark the place where the garlic is buried, so as not to accidentally dig up this area in the spring.
Dry storage of garlic
Harvesting garlic by drying is rare, because with such storage the content of useful substances is significantly reduced. Peeled chives are cut into thin slices and dried to dry. It is possible to dry garlic on radiators, on a stove, in an oven or on an electric dryer, the main thing is that the temperature does not exceed 60 ° C. After that, it is enough to grind the resulting garlic "chips" to the state of the powder in a mortar, blender or coffee grinder and, mixed with salt, stored in a dry glass, closed jar.
In the apartment
And what to do to city dwellers who have no cellar? Experienced gardeners and gardeners use many different tricks to preserve garlic in the conditions of an apartment for a long time:
- Banks. Sterilize large jars and fill them with well-dried uncleaned specimens, and then simply close the capron lids.
- Flour. To improve the preservation, garlic in jars can be poured with flour or simply dipped in each head.
- Salt. Put some salt in a 3-liter jar so that it completely covers the bottom. Then - a layer of heads, uncleaned from scales. Salt again, and then garlic. Continue like this until you completely fill the jar. There should be a 2 cm layer of salt on top.
- There is an opinion that it well increases the period of storage of garlic dipping it into garden vermiculite, but keep in mind that when working with this substance its fine particles can make it difficult to breathe.
- Paraffin. This is a very time consuming, but very effective way. Before storing it, you need to dip each head into melted paraffin. The resulting hermetic shell does not allow moisture from the cloves to evaporate, so garlic will remain strong and juicy for a long time.
- Butter. Many advise treating garlic stocks with an oily compound. To do this, in 1 liter of vegetable oil add 20 drops of iodine. Each head needs to be coated with this solution, dried slightly and placed in a cool dark place.
- The bags. Pretty good way with linen bags. Well dried fruits should be mixed with onion peel and covered in clean “torbochki”. If the apartment is too humid, then before drying the garlic heads are treated with a concentrated salt solution.
A very interesting way when the teeth are stored cleaned, packed in a jar and filled with vegetable oil. In this way, you will receive both garlic and fragrant oil, which even an ordinary vegetable salad will make truly refined and tasty. This method is rationally used to preserve non-standard yield.
In a refrigerator
If the crop of an aromatic vegetable is not very large, then it can be placed in a refrigerator on a shelf, where the temperature stays within 2–3 ° C. Retry and dry out the excavated, and then place in small cardboard boxes, which put in the refrigerator. Instead of boxes you can use silk bags or perforated plastic bags. This way you can save garlic for 8 months.
Important: Do not keep garlic in the freezer, since after defrosting there will no longer be a large number of healthy phytoncides, and the taste will change for the worse.
The safest option for storing garlic is to use it in several ways. It is possible to tangle the braids, pour them into the jars of the heads, and place them in the fridge. The only thing - do not forget to periodically check your reserves in order to remove the spoiled fruit in time, which can infect other heads with rot.
In the end I want to share another way to store garlic - in dried form. This method can be used for rejected instances. Details are all in the video: